Within the group of the so-called vitamin B
, which plays a fundamental role in the proper functioning of the nervous system, is the one that we want to introduce you to today. We are referring to vitamin B12
Specifically, what we want with this article today is for you to discover it in depth, through its functions and its benefits.
What is vitamin B12 and what functions does it perform?
The first thing you should be clear about is that it is a water-soluble vitamin
that performs very important functions for our body. Specifically, in addition to helping the nervous system to be in perfect condition, it favors the production of red blood cells and also contributes to the production of DNA.
But this is not all because, in the same way, it becomes a great ally to prevent us from suffering what is known as megaloblastic anemia.
Where is it located? Well, mainly in foods of animal origin. Hence, it is recommended to take them to have the daily dose in the body of B12. In this case, it must be determined that adults need 2.4 micrograms per day.
The main advantages of vitamin B12
In the previous section we have let you know not only what it is but also what its functions are in our body. But we cannot ignore the fact that having the adequate dose of it in that brings with it that we can benefit from other really significant advantages such as these:
- It helps to improve our skin as well as our hair and even the condition of our nails.
- Get us to have the necessary energy.
- It favors what is the regeneration of muscles.
- Strengthens the defenses we have in the body.
How to take vitamin B12?
As we have indicated, vitamin B12 must be present in our body to be able to perform the important functions it has. For this reason, it is necessary to resort to including foods rich in it in the diet, even more so if we have a lack of it that manifests itself through symptoms such as tachycardia or dizziness.
Specifically, it is necessary to know that among the products that can provide us with a greater amount than that mentioned are the following:
- Offal like liver and kidneys. Category in which, in the same way, the brains, the tongue and the gizzards are included.
- Within the fish there are several species rich in B12, sardines being the most important in this regard. Of course, we cannot forget that mackerel, herring, tuna, cod, swordfish and pomfret also have high amounts of it.
- Meat is another product to consider. More specifically, it must be emphasized that the most interesting in terms of their contribution are rabbit, pork and lamb.
- You may not have known, but seafood is also very rich in vitamin B12, especially clams, oysters, and mussels.
In addition to these foods that we indicate, there are others that should not be overlooked in the sense at hand. We are referring to eggs, cheese, milk, soybeans and some cereals, for example.
Of course, we cannot ignore the fact that there are also vitamin B12 supplements on the market. At Be Levels
, for example, right now we have B Complex Vitamins
available to our customers, which contains methylated B vitamins for better absorption, among which is the one that concerns us now.
It is a product that is for sale in capsules, which is suitable for vegans and requires taking a single dose a day.
Important facts to keep in mind about the B12
So far we have exposed the most relevant aspects of the aforementioned vitamin, but it is important that we do not overlook other equally significant ones:
- Lack of memory, tingling, weight loss and even weakness when walking are other symptoms that may indicate that you have a B12 deficiency. In this case, to confirm that this is the problem that is suffered, it is advisable to go to the doctor and have an analysis carried out to clear up any doubts.
- Those most likely to be deficient in this vitamin are those over 50, those with celiac disease, those following a vegan diet, and those with Crohn's disease.
- In the same way, it is necessary to avoid having excessive levels of it since recent studies carried out, as indicated by the National Institutes of Health , have established that they can increase the risks of suffering cancer.